Have you ever wondered what are the settings of a short story, well here some information about them:
The setting of a story
The setting means the time and place that form the background for the story. The settings sometimes play a vital role in the short story where by the setting of the story set the reader’s mode and a good description of the setting will make the reader more eager to keep up and follow the events of the story.
Setting in short story includes:
- · place – geographical location. Where is the action of the story taking place?
- · time – When is the story taking place? (historical period, time of day, year, etc)
- · weather conditions – Is it rainy, sunny, stormy, etc?
- · social conditions – What is the daily life of the characters like? Does the story contain local color (writing that focuses on the speech, dress, mannerisms, customs, etc. of a particular place)?
- · mood or atmosphere – What feeling is created at the beginning of the story? Is it bright and cheerful or dark and frightening?
Points to determine the setting of a story :
- reference to the time or date
- the names of the characters
- description of clothing
- reference to events
- description of the characters’ occupations
- description of the surroundings
Benefits of the setting:
Knowing the setting of the story can give us a picture of where the story is taking place and when it’s taking place. The setting gives the reader a better sense of the story. It allows them to visualize what is going on and connect with the characters better; the setting should be connected to the theme of the story.
Tips when writing the setting:
- In a short story you have a limited number of words to convey your message , you must choose your settings carefully & wisely
- Make the reader of the short story able to imagine themselves and put themselves in the characters positions.
- Appeal to your reader’s five senses to make your setting more real. Remember to combine setting with characterization and plot of the story.
- Use two or more senses in your description of setting
Also here is a mind map that you can use to brain-storm some ideas for the setting of short story: